Friday, December 11, 2009

changes

Last Monday is snowed 8-12 inches overnight, which is Grand Junction's 3rd highest snowfall in the month of December. It was beautiful! Usually when it snows in Grand Junction, the snow melts within a day or two. However, being that we have been waking up to temperatures of -12*F, and the highs haven't passed +15*F, it doesn't look like the snow is going anywhere for a while.

It's so amazing living in a climate where everything looks so different every three months. We moved here in mid-winter January, so we first knew Grand Junction as a quiet, leaf-less, cold town. Everyone would leave town loaded down with skis and snowboards ready to hit the slopes. When spring approached, it was magical!!! Overnight, trees would develop vibrant green leaves, roses and lilacs came in full bloom, the wind was always gusting, and people were walking the streets enjoying the beautiful weather, working in their yards, and chatting with their neighbors. Then the summer heat came, and outdoor patio seating at restaurants were in high demand, yardwork continues, festivals occur in every park every weekend, and you can find practically any Farmers Market in any town within a 20 mile radius. The grocery stores are filled with canning supplies, as everyone is taking advantage of and savoring the most amazing peaches in the nation. Most weekends you would see cars loaded down with dirt bikes, mountain bikes, and camping gear, ready to escape the heat and enjoy the higher elevations. And then overnight, trees turn the most beautiful golden color, welcoming wonderful Autumn. High temperatures don't pass the 70s, the wind begins to gust again, trucks are loaded down with Elk hunting supplies, and Chili becomes a weekly meal. I wished the colors stayed longer, but within weeks, the leaves fall, and raking is a bi-weekly chore. We celebrate the end of autumn with Thanksgiving feast, and immediately step into the winter routine of warming up the cars in the morning, seeing less of the sun, and tracking the ski-conditions.

It's wonderful to see how God perfectly planned the timing in the change of seasons. At the beginning of each season, I open my arms and say, "Welcome to Grand Junction!" I am giddy with excitement, but that eventually subsides. Right when I begin to feel that one season has overstayed its welcome, the seasons begin transition into the next. :)

Some of you may know that we might be going through some changes soon..."might" being the key word. We will know more in a month. I like change, on my own timing, of course. But I trust God's will for us and when He plans for a "change'' in our lives. We will go through change our entire lives, but the most comforting truth is that through ALL of our changes, minor and major, God will ALWAYS remain the same.

You will roll them up like a robe; like a garment they will be changed. But you remain the same, and your years will never end." Hebrews 1:12

Whatever is good and perfect comes to us from God above, who created all heaven's lights. Unlike them, He never changes or casts shifting shadows. James 1:17

Here are a few pictures of the house in each season. :) Love y'all!


Jan. 09: 1144 Chipeta after we closed on the house. :)

Sping 09: Beautiful butterflies in our backyard!

Summer 09

Changing colors in Fall 09

Snow storm last Monday....Winter 09 :)

3 comments:

  1. I love reading your blog! What a beautiful home! I hope you have a very Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post, Lindsey, and a good reminder for me to go with the flow and rest in He Who Does Not Change.

    You house looks lovely! I want to come in and have some cider or bring you some cookies. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. lindsey! I am so glad to know now that you have a BLOG! I can't wait to start stalking you....haha. Glad you found mine and were inspired by my running- I was not really a runner before either (running 2 miles without stopping was a miracle before!) but so much of it is mental. Go for it girl! Let me know if you start training :) Thanks for saying something!!

    ReplyDelete