Tuesday, June 8, 2010

north dakota

We're here!! Caleb and I said our final farewell to Grand Junction Saturday. We drove for 11 hours and stayed the night in Spearfish, SD. The next morning we had Panera Bread bagels (purchased in Fort Collins, CO), stopped at a coffee shop, and visited the historical fish hatchery. We viewed the biggest trout we have ever seen! I loved watching Caleb feed the fish and ooh-and-aww over the big guys. It was just like watching a little boy. I love him. :)

We finished the remaining 4 hours of the drive to Dickinson with beautiful weather and awesome views of the rolling plains. We drove through Belle Fourche, SD, which is considered the "Center of the Nation" since it is super close to the geographic center of the US. When we entered North Dakota, we stopped at the sign to take a picture. We were seriously in the middle of nowhere with hardly anyone on the highway, but the second after we parked by the sign, a greyhound bus pulled up behind us. Then a bunch of old black people filed off the bus, and a big lady says to Caleb in a southern accent, "Baby! Take my picture!" I looked over, and Caleb had multiple cameras in his hands with groups of people lining up for pictures. It was so random and hilarious! So I grabbed Bella (all crazy and super excited) and our camera, walked over and handed it to an old guy, and asked him to take our picture. Caleb picked up Bella and we stood under the sign and smiled! We got the heck out of there so that we weren’t stuck taking everyone else's pictures. As we drove off, I looked at our picture, and the guy missed half the sign that said "North Dakota"....so we entered "Dakota". Seriously?!?!?! It was so bizarre...like in Dumb & Dumber or something. :)

So we've moved into our home for the next two months, the Days Inn. :) We actually have a really large suite, but unfortunately there is only a microwave, mini-fridge, and small sink. I bought a hot plate at Walmart and a few groceries last night, so I can finally enjoy my breakfast and few snacks without leaving. I unpacked all the kitchen stuff, and tomorrow morning I'm going to tackle the six suitcases of clothes. Woohoo!

I'll continue to post the many exciting things about Dickinson. So far, I think we're going to be okay here. :)

Love y'all!


No comments:

Post a Comment